Looking For The Best Coffee Grinder For Cold Brew?
Here’s a look at our favorites, including our top pick – the KRUPS GX5000.
#1 Best Coffee Grinder For Cold Brew
After years of buying pre-ground coffee from the store I decided to try grinding my own coffee, and I can say definitively that I will never go back to using pre-ground coffee. Grinding your own beans right before brewing a batch of coffee delivers a level of fresh aromas and flavor that you just can’t get with pre-ground beans.
Buying a good burr grinder is more than worth the investment, especially if you get one that can deliver a variety of coarseness levels to suit multiple coffee brewing methods.
What to look for in a coffee grinder for cold brew coffee
To make cold brew coffee from freshly ground beans, you’ll need a grinder that can produce coarse grounds. If the grounds are too thin, you won’t be able to extract as much flavor during the steeping process, and you’ll have a difficult time filtering the grounds out when it’s done steeping. Generally speaking, you’ll want to use a grind size that’s similar to what you’d use with a French press.
As you’re looking around for the best coffee grinder for cold brew coffee, here are a few tips on what to look for:
- Burr grinder – a burr mill system avoids overheating, preserves the coffee’s aromas, and typically offers a grind coarseness selector for precise grinding.
- Coarseness selector – again, you’re going to want a grinder that can produce a thick, coarse grind, as that opens up the most flavor and makes filtering easier. That said, it’s nice to have a grinder that can handle the full spectrum of coarseness so that you can pick the perfect level to match different brewing styles in case you decide to switch things up one day.
- Cup selector – the point of grinding your own coffee is that you want fresh grounds when you brew. If you grind too much and leave some in the container for next time, it’ll go stale and defeat the purpose. Look for an electric grinder that lets you select how many cups to produce so you don’t waste any grinds.
- Hopper – a standard hopper (the container that holds the beans) should hold at least 8 oz. of coffee beans.
- Cleaning – like all kitchen tools, you’ll need to keep your grinder clean to prevent buildup and bacteria. A good grinder should have removable parts that you can hand wash or stick in the dishwasher.
KRUPS GX5000 Professional Electric Coffee Burr Grinder with Grind Size and Cup Selection, 7-Ounce, Black
KRUPS has been making top-quality, innovative kitchen products since 1846. They’ve always been known for precision, bold design, ingenuity, and unwavering craftsmanship, and this electric coffee grinder is no exception. It has a metallic flat burr grinder that’s quick and powerful, allowing you to grind your coffee beans without losing any flavor.
You can choose from 9 coarseness settings, and the quantity selector lets you grind the perfect amount of coffee every time. It looks sleek, and it’s the perfect companion to help you make a perfectly balanced cup of coffee every time you brew.
- Metallic flat burr grinder
- 9 grind levels from fine (espresso) to coarse (French press)
- 8 oz. clear bean container with a removable 15 oz. coffee-grinds container
- Removable burr for simple, effortless cleaning
- Quantity selector (2 – 12 cups) to grind the exact quantity you need
- Auto-off feature that pauses operation when the bean container is empty, or the lid isn’t properly closed
- Also good for chopping/grinding herbs, seeds, nuts, and spices
Chefman Electric Burr Coffee Grinder – Freshly Grinds Up to 8 oz. Beans, Large Hopper for 2-12 Cups, Cleaning Brush Included
The goal of the Chefman Electric Burr Coffee Grinder is to provide true coffee lovers with better tasting coffee within the convenience of their own home. Its intelligent design features offer a hassle-free grinding process, and the 110-watt motor can deliver a consistent grind every time. You’ll be able to choose from 17 grind levels, and the grinder can make enough for 2 – 12 cups at a time. The detachable burr and container are also dishwasher safe, so it’s easy to keep clean.
- 17 grind options from extremely fine to coarse
- Hopper holds up to 8 oz. of ground coffee
- Capacity selector for 2 – 12 cups
- Burr and detachable container are both dishwasher safe
- Comes with a free cleaning brush for hand washing
- Package includes access to Club Chefman’s recipes, videos, cookbooks, and more
- 1-year warranty, 30-day money-back guarantee
KONA Electric Burr Grinder | French Press Coffee Bean Grinder Produces Coarse to Medium Grinds, Small Coffee Mill Saves Space on Any Counter Top
If you’re looking for the best value on the list, this is it. The Kona Electric Burr Grinder is designed to produce coarse ground coffee, which is ideal for cold brew (as well as French press, percolators, vacuum, and auto drip). The adjustable settings also allow for medium grinds, adding versatility if you have a traditional coffee maker. The Kona Grinder uses a high-quality disc burr to deliver consistent, uniform grounds, giving you a smooth cup with every brew.
- Compact, space-saving design is also lightweight and portable
- 60-gram hopper provides enough grounds for a 34-ounce pot
- 9 Coarseness settings from medium – coarse
- 3 Suction cups on the base to prevent tipping-over
Ariete – Delonghi Electric Coffee Grinder – Professional Heavy Duty Stainless Steel, Conical Burr – Ultra Fine Grind, Adjustable Cup Size, 15 Fine – Coarse Grind Size Settings
DeLonghe is one of the most famous names in the coffee industry with years of experience and a vast array of professional-quality coffee products, and the Ariete Grinder Pro is no exception to that reputation for excellence. It uses a heavy duty conical burr grinder to deliver consistent grinds, and it can handle 15 different coarseness levels—including the rare ultra-fine grind that’s ideal for Turkish coffee. It’s amazingly fast, and it delivers an unrivaled level of quality that you can taste in every cup of coffee.
- 15 grind settings
- Heavy duty conical burr disc allows for an ultra-fine grind that’s ideal for Turkish coffee
- Automatic locking bean hopper can be removed with beans inside
- Adjustable cup size
- ETL certified to guarantee safety, efficiency, and quality
- Stainless steel construction, sleek and space-saving design
- Removable parts for easy cleaning
At the end of the day, the best suggestions come from personal experience. I purchased the KRUPS GX5000 over a year ago, and it’s been a fantastic investment, so I can recommend it wholeheartedly. That said, all of the coffee grinders on this list come highly rated and widely recommended, so you can’t go wrong with any of them. Each one will get you the perfectly coarse grinds you need to make delicious, fresh cold brew coffee.