Looking For The Best Coffee Filters For Pour Over?
Here’s a look at our favorites, including our top pick – the Barista Warrior TITANIUM COATED GOLD Pour Over Coffee Filter.
#1 Best Coffee Filter For Pour Over
When it comes to brewing pour-over coffee, many people are surprised to learn that the type of filter you use will have a significant impact on the coffee’s taste. While all pour over filters accomplish the same task—namely letting the coffee pass through while filtering out the grounds—some filters are designed to filter out the coffee bean oils while others allow more oils and nutrients to pass through.
Coffee bean oils add more flavor and aromas, but they also increase the acidity of the coffee, so it’s important to purchase the right filter that matches your preferences.
What to look for in a pour over coffee filter
To help you in your search for the best coffee filter for your pour over coffee, here are a few tips on what to look for:
- Disposable filters – disposable pour-over coffee filters are usually made of paper. Paper filters are designed to trap excess oils from the coffee beans, so this type of filter is ideal for coffee lovers who prefer less acidity. As the name implies, paper filters are intended to be discarded after each use and usually come in a package with 100+ filters.
- Reusable filters – a good reusable filter should be made with high-quality stainless-steel mesh. Stainless-steel filters are designed to allow more oils and nutrients to pass through the filter, so they’ll usually give you a bolder, full-bodied coffee. Reusable filters are initially more expensive than paper filters, but their extended use cycle makes them significantly cheaper in the long run. Reusable filters are also eco-friendlier than paper filters.
- Dual-filter technology – all of the reusable filters that we’ll talk about today employ an interior and an exterior filter for dual-layer filtering. This helps to trap even the finest coffee grinds to remove more sediment from your cup.
- Carafe vs single-serve – while all pour-over filters can be used with just about any pour-over coffee maker or carafe, solid-body filters that can stand on their own (or include a stand) can also be placed over a cup, mug, or thermos to brew single servings of coffee.
If you’re going for a permanent filter and aesthetics are important to you, take a look at this titanium gold-coated filter by Barista Warrior. It employs dual-filter technology with a laser-cut filter on the inside, and a heavy-duty stainless-steel mesh filter on the outside. The cone can hold enough coffee grounds to produce up to 10 6-ounce cups of coffee at a time, and it can be used over and over to offer long-term savings over paper filters.
This premium barista-quality tool is compatible with Osaka, Bodum, Hario, and Chemex pour over coffee makers, as well as most branded pour-over coffee carafes. It can also be used as a single-serve pour over coffee maker with large mugs, cups, and thermoses, so it’s highly versatile.
- Premium barista-quality reusable filter
- Compatible with Osaka, Bodum, Hario, & Chemex
- Cone capacity – 60-ounces of brewed coffee
- Laser cut, dual-filter technology
- High quality stainless-steel mesh
- 6-month warranty and satisfaction guarantee
If you’re looking for a smaller reusable filter that’s a bit more budget-friendly, check out this filter by IdealHouse. Like the Barista Warrior filter it uses dual-filtering technology to filter out 99.9% of coffee grinds while allowing the coffee’s natural oils, nutrients, flavor, and aroma to pass through to your cup. Both are made with stainless-steel mesh, though this one adds a unique honeycomb design on the outside for better filtering.
The IdealHouse filter features a silicone rubber handle and removable anti-slip silicone ring to prevent burning and sliding, and the kit includes a stand that can be mounted on most cups and mugs for single-serve pour over coffee. It’s a little smaller (holds enough grounds for about 4 servings of coffee), so it’s an ideal choice for small-batch coffee brewers. The company backs their product with a 30-day money-back guarantee and an 18-month replacement warranty.
- Unique honeycomb design with twill weave stainless-steel filter
- Made with BPA-free stainless-steel
- Includes separate stand for single-serve use
- Silicone rubber handle with removable anti-slip silicone ring
- Easy to clean
- Economical and eco-friendly
The Ovalware Stainless-Steel Coffee Filter is a good alternative to the Barista Warrior if you’re looking to save a few bucks. It employs a dual-filtering system with superfine stainless-steel mesh on the inside and a laser-cut filter on the outside.
The Ovalware Stainless-Steel Coffee Filter is specifically designed for use with Chemex and Hario pour over coffee makers, though it should fit most pour over coffee carafes. It features a BPA-free silicone grip to cling securely to your carafe. The company backs the filter with a 90-day money-back guarantee.
- Designed for use with Chemex and Hario pour over coffee makers
- Dual-filter construction with stainless-steel
- BPA-free silicone grip
- Easy cleaning
This disposable paper filter is designed specifically for use with a Hario V60 pour over coffee maker, and it comes in three different sizes to match the three Hario V60 sizes—Dripper 01, Dripper 02, and Dripper 03. The filters are made in Japan with recyclable paper, and each package contains 100 disposable filters.
- Designed for Hario V60
- Includes 100 disposable filters
- Made with recyclable paper
If you’re looking for a reusable stainless-steel filter at the lowest cost, the Osaka Cone-Shaped Stainless-Steel Mesh Filter presents an attractive value. Like the more expensive permanent filters it employs a dual-layer filtering process using stainless-steel mesh, but this one is removes the rigid form used with the more expensive permanent filters.
As a result, the flexible design makes the filter foldable, so it’s easier to store in your kitchen between uses or take with you when traveling. It’s compatible with any pour-over coffee carafe, so you don’t need to worry about matching up brands.
- 4-Cup capacity
- Stainless-steel construction
- Dual-layer filter
- Foldable and reusable
- Dishwasher safe
If you’re looking for a rich, full-bodied coffee with maximum flavor and aromas, I’d recommend going with the Barista Warrior Filter or the Ovalware Filter. Both are highly rated, widely recommended, and durable enough to last for a long time. If you prefer to use a paper filter to trap more of the coffee beans’ oils, I’d recommend the Hario paper coffee filters.
Keep in mind the Hario filters are designed for use with Hario coffee makers, but they should fit just about any pour-over coffee carafe (Chemex, Bodum, Osaka, etc), so don’t feel pigeon-holed into getting a particular brand of paper filters to match your coffee maker.